An increasing number of educational institutions are embracing hybrid and flexible learning models because of the benefits they deliver for both students and teachers, but these HyFlex classrooms cannot succeed without the right technology solutions.
How It Works. HyFlex classrooms combine both in-person and online learning while giving students the added flexibility of participating in classes and lectures either synchronously or asynchronously. In a HyFlex model, a student may choose to attend class in-person one day, watch a live stream of the lecture the next day, and on the third day watch a recording of the teacher’s presentation when and where it is most convenient.
Why It Matters. A HyFlex classroom model is the ultimate in student-centered education. Benefits include:
- Helping students balance their personal, professional, and academic responsibilities
- Accommodating scheduling conflicts created by extracurricular activities
- Supporting non-traditional students, including those who return to school later in life
- Creating customized educational experiences that match learning styles
- Engaging students spread out over geographic areas and circumstances
- Overcoming constraints such as limited classroom space and shrinking budgets
What To Know. HyFlex classrooms only work when teachers have the right technology— and feel comfortable using it. Technology requirements for HyFlex classrooms include:
- Microphones and speakers. Make sure mics are placed in the classroom so all speakers’ voices are picked up. For teachers who move around a lot, worn microphones are best. Ceiling loudspeakers ensure spoken word and other audio content can be heard by learners.
- Virtual whiteboards. Teachers can share lecture notes with remote and asynchronous students through a video conferencing or collaboration app.
- Cameras. These can include cameras that capture the teacher, cameras trained on in-person students, and document cameras to share notes and other content.
- BYOD support. HyFlex classrooms should accommodate conferencing and content sharing from personal devices.
- Touchless control. Occupancy sensors, voice controls, and wireless technology can help teachers control HyFlex classroom technology while also protecting their health and safety and that of their students.
Pro Tip: Once you have identified the best technology for your HyFlex classrooms, make sure teachers have the support and training they need to use it effectively. What’s Next. The experts at AV Solutions can help you prioritize your needs and then make a plan to update your classrooms, lecture halls, and other spaces to accommodate successful hybrid and flexible learning. Ready to get started? Get in touch with AV Solutions today.